Monday, January 22, 2018

It's what I do

Tool belts are for tools
Do you know what a tool belt is used for?  It's to hold tools.  Tools like a hammer or measuring tape or a level.  You use tools to accomplish things - like saving time.  When you use a measuring tape to hammer a nail, you aren't saving time.  When you use a level to measure distance, you aren't saving time.  When you try to do your own research instead of using a Librarian who does this stuff every day, you're not saving time and you're just going to get frustrated.

Wait, what?  See a while back, I got in to an argument with a buddy of mine.  He a real estate broker and he's really good at all things real estate.  He's spouting how worthless Librarians are and how he's the bees knees when it comes to all things research.  Sad, that he hasn't got anything better to do with his time than to try to do his job AND my job at the same time.  

You know, I don't know beans about real estate.  When I bought my house, I didn't try to get it done on my own - I hired a real estate agent (i.e. a professional tool) to do the job.  
  • If I needed to have my appendix removed, I'd hire a surgeon (i.e. a professional tool) to cut me open.
  • If I were being sued, I'd hire a lawyer (i.e. a professional tool) to represent me.
  • If I needed to fly from Los Angeles to New York, I'd charter a plane and hire a pilot (i.e. a professional tool) to fly me there.
So, why is it people think, when they have a problem that they need to research that they are alone in the lone and dreary world?  Why do it yourself when you can save yourself the time and trouble by requesting the services of a professional tool?  

Fact is, when it comes to researching something there is NO ONE who does it better than your local Librarian.  If you're searching for law or legal things, there is NO ONE who does it better than your local county law Librarian.  

Why would mere mortals spend the time futzing on the Internet trying to find what it take me (a Professional Librarian) mere minutes or even seconds to find using either print or online using resources?  It  boggles my mind.

For example, say you were being evicted and needed to know how to defend yourself.  What would you search for online?  I know, but do you?  See, you could do it yourself but you could also save yourself a heap of grief by coming to the law library so that I could show you such wonders as:
Say, instead your Dad died and he left a will but your brother announces that Dad left you out of the will.  What do you do?  Well, you could futz around on the Internet until the cows come home or let me (your local county professional tool) suggest you look at: 
One more?  Say you've discovered that you need your appendix removed and want to draw up a Power of Attorney.  You could futz around on the Internet trying to find something that works (and will stand up in court) OR you could talk to your local professional law Librarian who might suggest you look at:
And how long did it take me to find all this information?  Maaaaaybe 3 minutes, tops.  How?  Well, simply because I practice researching crazy legal questions every day.  I don't practice real estate.  I don't practice medicine.  I don't practice flying airplanes.  I practice helping people find answers to legal problems every single day of the year.

So, to my buddy who thinks he's better than I am at finding things in print or online, I don't know what you're smoking but it's waaaaay above your pay grade, pal.  Maybe time to give it a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment