Monday, May 8, 2017

Always something to talk about

California has always been wierd
Did you realize that I've been blogging almost six (6) full years? Heck, most bloggers don't last more than a few months before they run out of things to talk about but not me. Law and legal things are like that - always something to talk about.  Doggone it but how can I not blog when there are so many law things to talk about?  For example...

  • Did you know that according to North Dakota law (under NDCC, 39-07-01) a horse is deemed a vehicle?  So, if you're drunk and riding a horse in North Dakota, you're gonna get a ticket.
  • Did you know that you can be fined $500 under Louisiana Revised code (under LA Rev Stat § 14:68.6) for instructing a pizza delivery person to deliver a pizza to your friend without them knowing?  That's an expensive prank.
  • Did you know that it is against the law in Texas (under V.T.C.A., Penal Code Section 48.02) to sell your eyes?  I don't know about my eyes, but I've got a great body!
  • Did you know that it is against the law in Utah (under U.C.A. 1953 Sec 76-6-105) to cause a catastrophe?  Not just a skirmish - but a full blown catastrophe.
  • Did you know that it is against the law in Florida (under F.S.A. section 847.0145) to sell your children (or anyone, I suspect)?  I mean, why is that even an issue?!
Did you also know that in Oregon, it, apparently, is against the law to criticize the law using math without a license? Yeah, that's pretty looney.  I mean, I would expect to hear about something like this from one of the southern states, but Oregon?

Apparently, Oregon resident Mats Järlström's wife was caught running a red light after being photographed by a traffic camera.  Mr. Järlström (who claimed to be an "professional" Engineer) argued that "the equation which governs the timers were out of date."

As it turned out, while Mr. Järlström is an Electrical Engineer (like my father before me), he was not a state licensed Electrical Engineer and so was fined for saying he was AND for criticizing the law using math. So, picture it, your wife has to pay the fine (for running a red light) and now you get to pay a contempt fine of $500 (for using math in court).

You know, I've always known Oregon to be a bit off (what with there being a law prohibiting you pumping your own gas, but now?  I mean, I've never been good at math but getting fined for using math is pretty loony tunes (bordering on a 1st Amendment issue).  Dang but if it wasn't for the dedication of Oregon law Librarians, the whole state would be destined for one huge handbasket.

Anyway, I guess the moral to all this if you're going to live in a particular state, pay attention to the crazier laws you are going to have to live under.  I mean, really - fined for using math?!?  Who would have thunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment