Monday, April 27, 2015

This just torques my shorts

Caught in the act
So, for the last few days, I have been updating our copy of California Forms of Pleading and Practice (Lexis).  Notwithstanding my on/off dislike of Lexis, Pleading and Practice is the preeminent legal research resource when you draft a complaint or an answer or a motion or, well, have to do most anything relating to California civil procedure practice.

Anyway, I'm updating this monolithic resource (54+ volumes) and I come to volume 23, Chapter 269 (Fraud) and Chapter 270 (Fraudulent Conveyances) only to find out that some #%@#^)(@#!$)*&@!(*&!@(*^%)(*@!&)(&^!%()&@#+^!@)(&^!%_*!@)&^%^+)_(*^!@)(&^%()!*&@!)(^ SOB stole both chapters (including the tabbed pages between chapters).  

I mean, this kind of stuff really chaffs my hide.  Why?  Because we have people who come into our law library all the time needing to use these resources.  Yes, we charge 15 cents per page for copies, but what a bunch of #%@#^@#%!@%$P)^&*&#Q@%P(*&@#%(*& who think they have a higher right to these resources than the rest of the world.  Not only were Chapters 269 and 270 snagged but several other chapters had been gutted, as well.  What a real pisser!

Sad that there are people out there who are classic a-holes enough to steal from a public library.  Good thing, then, that there are laws on the books that make it a misdemeanor for stealing from public libraries.  You betcha, there are!  For instance, California Penal Code section 490.5 states
Upon a first conviction for petty theft involving...a book or other library materials taken from a library facility, a person shall be punished by a mandatory fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) for each such violation; and may also be punished by imprisonment in the county jail, not exceeding six months, or both such fine and imprisonment.
What this says is that if (and when) I catch the sniveling #%@#^@#%^#% SOB(s) who have been stealing library resources, they will be on the hook for up to $1,000 for each page they've stolen AND MAY ALSO be incarcerated for up to 6 months.  That's a sizable sword of Damocles hanging over your head simply because you don't want to pay 15 cents for a copy.  I mean, some people's kids!

In the meantime, I am waiting with baited breath for the fool(s) who have been snagging our stuff.   Heck, I may even shed a crocodile tear or two for whomever I/we catch.  Truly, I hope it isn't you, but if it is.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment